Friday, February 9, 2007

Amma The Hugging Saint

India isn't the easiest place in the world to travel.Language barriers,remembering not to drink the water and keeping a sense of humour are all important things to keep in mind while travelling in this country.I believe Kanyakumari was my last stop.From here I headed up to Manurai to see my friend Teresa before I started my slow journey Northward.Well Teresa wasn't on the mountain meditating as I had thought,she got sick.A viral infection,another hazard to traveling in India.After spending a couple of days in Madurai and having the pleasure of witnessing the healing powers of Amma "The Hugging Saint" I unfortunately didn't get a hug,call it stage fright.It was very intense,thousands of people lining up to receive a hug.All the westerners were wearing pristine white knee length shirts and white pants.They knew all the words to all of Amma's songs and the synchronised dance moves.I tried to play along but still felt like a fraud,so I hung around till it came to my turn to get up on stage to receive a hug,than I disappeared through a maze of pristine white garments,chanting and smoke.Call it magic,poof and I was gone!Luckily the fence wasn't to high and the cow was friendly.

The following morning I awoke wondering if Amma was still giving hugs.She has been known to hug all night long.

No comments: