Monday, February 19, 2007

Hampi:Temple of the Monkeys!




Hampi was super relaxing.After three days of constant travel I really needed a few days just to relax,and it was on my short list of places to visit in India.Situated on a river,surrounded by dreamy boulders perched elegantly in fields upon fields of rice paddies.

There is a temple near by called the Hanumen temple,also known as the Monkey temple.I made the mistake of hiking up the steep hill with ten banana's in hand.In retrospect what the hell was I thinking?The monkeys were waiting for me,hiding in the trees,behind the rocks and up around the bend.Sending whistling messages to each other,secret monkey code that I couldn't decipher.They knew the bananas were coming,they were all set to take action.First there were two,what could two possibly do?Right!Than there were four,than six and more coming.Jumping from the tree,just missing me and the bananas,I leap out of the way.Before I could stick the bananas in my bag I was surrounded.The monkeys wanted my bananas and would stop at nothing to get them.I did try to fight them off with a sandal,but it was of no use,they laughed and took my bananas anyway.It was very sad and a bit humiliating. Sitting in the trees eating my bananas tossing the peels my way.

The next day I would get my revenge on the redassed monkeys.Arriving at the temple by mid-afternoon,I buy another ten bananas.This time concealing them in my bag,double bagging so that the monkeys wouldn't pick up the scent of there favorite food.At the top of the hill there is the temple,as well as numerous rock bridges meant for exploring the boulder strewn landscape.The monkeys don't venture across these bridges unless they have reason to.I found a nice spot to watch the sun setting,which gave me three hours to play with the monkeys.It took less than five minutes for those bratty redassed monkeys to catch sight of me and my bananas to start making tracks my way.I spent the afternoon eating bananas and watching the monkeys cross the bridge and retreat over and over again.

Hampi was also the cheapest place I had stayed,renting a bamboo hut for fifty rupees a night.Sleeping peacefully under a star filled sky,a million symphonic frogs breaking the sound of silence in the distance,waking up to a rigmarole of roosters,wild dogs and music.Even a gang of goonda monkeys couldn't ruin the tranquility called Hampi.

No comments: