Monday, December 4, 2006

Fear and loathing in New Delhi...



The descent into Delhi was taking forever.I was on a high from my four days in Italy and was frightened to death of what was waiting for me once I landed. I cleared customs,collected my baggage and my wits,it was time to face the chaos known as Delhi.One foot in front of the other I started to walk.I had banana custard on my mind and my monday afternoon breakfasts at sneaky dees.

Entering the foyer at Delhi international I was greeted by a few hundred of my closest friends.And they were all promising the best of the best that Delhi had to offer.Cheap motels,cheap cologne...a foot massage for 100% guaranteed enlightenment,almost free taxi rides,money exchange,car rental,people rental,a vacuum cleaner that comes with a monkey for all your cleaning needs.Everything was right here in the foyer at Delhi international.So I grabbed the first auto-rickshaw and told him to take me to the broadview hotel.We drove forever to discover that the hotel was booked up and I paid about two hundred rupees to much for the cab.Apparently my calm,cool,collected and I'm in charge demeanor wasn't fooling anyone.Thank god for me that the nice man at the reception desk was so,so kind to call around to find me accommodations.A crappy to half decent hotel in Delhi shouldn't cost more than 1000 rupees which comes to approximately $20 Canadian.So he gets off the phone all excited giddy with joy that he found me a place and it will only cost me 2500 rupees.I agreed and he gave me the directions to the hotel.I left and started to walk...the alley was strewn with makeshift fires,three legged dogs,moans and cries coming out of the shadows.The night had just become that much darker.The panic started to set in,the paranoia...what I would give right now for some banana custard.Someone was walking towards me out of the dark.I shouted "who goes there?"I think my feet saw the long bony finger before my eyes did because before I knew what was happening I was booting it down the alley running for my dear Canadian life.
Coming out of the alley I was cornered by three auto-rickshaws yelling incomprehensible things at me in Hindi.I was half listening looking behind me to make sure whatever was attached to that long bony finger wasn't giving chase.I asked to be taken to a cheap hotel.The hotel wasn't cheap but it was nice.It didn't take long for me to fall asleep dreaming of banana custard.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well as far as arriving in Delhi goes, it could have been better though it also could have been far worse. I'm sure you'll soon look back and shudder at the memory of paying 2500 rupees for a hotel but such are the joys of a late night arrival in Delhi.

Unknown said...

I hope Gollum is Okay

Robin Alexa said...

Very interesting post.

This might be a stupid question, but why are there so many three legged dogs there?