Sunday, January 28, 2007

A dog named Gandhi!

I truly do love India!The strap on my burgundy corduroy bag broke today.I really liked that bag,I attempted to make a strap with some special edition Macgyver gum and a fishing hook.Frustrated and feeling beaten I slump myself down on a curb,breathing in diesel exhaust,cow dung and something frying near by.Than it happened,some angelic soul on a Herculie's bicycle pulls up next to me and asks "fixing?"Looking up surveying the situation,I notice that not only is he riding a Herculie's bicycle but he has a manual sewing machine strapped to the back of his bike.So I hand over my bag,get a chai and a biscuit for myself and my mobile Taylor friend and wait.Five minutes later my bag is repaired,morale is high and I'm on my way.

Kanyakumari,the very tip of India,the lands end,a place where the moon and sun rise above three Seas,the Arabian sea,the Indian Ocean, and the Bengal Sea.There is also a Gandhi Memorial here,where Gandhi had some of his ashes spread across
the these waters.

One of my favorite Gandhi quotes,and there are many,but one of my faves is "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated"maybe those pet spas that are all the rage aren't so bad after all.So I'm leaving my hotel,and I hear someone shouting "Gandhi,No!" It was the people that owned the soup stall next door,they named there dog Gandhi!







2 comments:

charley said...

Hi Chris....it sounds like you are never coming back and near enough ready to throw your passport into the ocean!! thinking of you and really enjoy the stories. when will you begin writing your memoirs? that would be a million dollar idea. I have passed along your blog to others with rave reviews. Miss you flaro.

Vulgar Baker said...

i would love to have another cat and name him "chairman Meow"