Thursday, January 11, 2007

TRIVANDRUM (TRIVI)

Trivandrum is the capital of Kerala,a busy city.I arrived the day after Saddam Husein met his demise at the end of a rope.I know this because it was all over the news and there a mock body hanging in front of the Secretary Generals residence on Mahatma Gandhi RD.There was a picture of George Bush pasted to the face of the body.A bold statement!

I had read about these restaurants in South India where the recipes are all bases on naturopathic principles.I was even more intrigued when I learned that the food was prepared without the use of flavour enhancers such as onion,garlic,sugar or Tamarind.They started me off with six vitamin packed juices,which I was to consume in a strict order.One tasted like a banana smoothie,while the next tasted more like soup,I couldn't pinpoint the spices that were being used,only that they were good for me.After taking my juice like a good little boy,the glasses were taken away and replaced with a banana leaf.For the next half hour or so I was fed delicious salads,dahls and other mysterious vegetarian dishes.I did attempt to ask what I was eating,all I got was a smile and a wink.

That afternoon I ate a lot of food,very good food,likely the most nutritious meal I have ever had.What did it cost?50 rupees,which amounts to approximately $1.50 Canadian.I still couldn't get out of them what was in the food.I paid my money to a man who I think was the owner,he only spoke Hindi and looked a lot like Allen Ginsberg or possibly Tommy Chong.

I was met by the team as I arrived at the tourney.I had walked there,I walk everywhere in India.Khursheed and the team were elated to see me,and I was happy to be there.Utter Pradesh had made it to the finals all except for the 14-18 boys doubles team.Tamil Nadu had beaten them out...the enemy!

The first thing I noticed when I walked through the doors was the Tamil Nadu coach throwing a hissy fit screaming something in Tamil.He was upset with the officiating.

I sit to watch the first game....

The board is doused with a white powder to give it a sleek slippery playing surface.We break first...a solid break!Two whites go down...After watching a few games I'm amazed at the accuracy and skill of these kids.Making triple combo's,defence,three banks to win the game.All the principles,skill and geometry that makes pool exciting.

A confession....

When arriving home late at night from the bar,a friends or a late night walk,I secretly hope that there is a 9 ball game on the sports network for me to watch before retiring to bed.

So the matches consist of three games,best two out of three wins!Each game is played to 25 points or eight racks,whichever comes first!Your points equal the number of tiles your opponent has left on the table.You each start with eight tiles,and there is a red tile placed in the center of the rack,called the queen.The queen is worth three points and has to be followed by another tile to count,if you miss the follow up,the queen is taken out and placed in the middle.Got it?

The score is one game a piece,both players have just returned from a 15 minute recess.I have just returned from shaking hands and acquiring business cards from every carom official both sides of the Ganges.The United States has a carom team but Canada does not.I have been chosen to bring carom to Canada.Apparently my keen interest in the game had not gone unnoticed.

Tamil Nadu breaks,nothing goes down.The winner advances into the quarter finals.Utter Pradesh misses the next shot.The Tamil Nadu player goes on to sink four tiles including the red.After the first set the score is 11-0 for Tamil Nadu.I look up to see there coach gloating. The next set we score 8 points.After a back and forth joust and tug of war the score is 23-21 for Tamil Nadu,half the hall is watching the game.I have been given a ringside seat.We sink the first four tiles,Tamil Nadu comes back and sinks three plus the queen.They miss the next shot,we sink two  more.There next shot is blocked by one of our tiles.Strategically set up on our last play.The next shot is crucial,the money shot!Two banks off there tile and in,were now in position to win the game.I look up and catch the eye of the Tamil Nadu coach,he is no longer gloating,I smile and wave.The last tile drops,we win!

Over the next three days Utter Pradesh went on to win three first place trophies and a second place.There trip had been a success and I was given the title of honorary coach.Not that any of these highly skilled players needed any help from me,I was just happy to be there.I even got the chance to play a little Carom with Khursheed.On my way back up North I may visit them in Allahabad.That is the where the Kuma Mela,the largest Hindu religious gathering in the world will take place this year.Every Sadhu both sides of the Mississippi and the Ganges will be there.as well as astrologers,fire walkers,story tellers and about 10 million Hindu's.


Now I leave for Munnar,a place in the sky where they grow tea!!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

you'll be happy to know that I bought my parents a carroms board last year. I'll borrow it from them and when your back in TO, we can whip out the baby powder and get flickin. It's not fair though, you'll have had expert instruction whereas I suck.